CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Halloween Quilts

I made a Halloween quilt for Tim's family several years ago, when the boys were little.  It was a "cutesy" one.  I decided the boys needed a more grown up quilt for themselves now.  I found some neat fabric and made them each a quilt that was roughly 45"x60".  This one is for Jimmy:
And this one is for Jason:

I ordered a glow-in-the-dark thread and used that in the machine(not the bobbin) for the quilting.  I practiced until I was able to do a continuous-line spider web.  It was alot of fun trying that.  Here is a closeup of the quilting:

The fun began when I turned the lights off in my studio while the quilt was still on the frame!  It was really neat!  There was a very delicate yellow spiderweb showing up on the quilt!  I think it would have showed more if I had filled in an area instead of the stitching like this, but it was still very neat!!!  Needless to say, the boys, as well as their mom and dad, thought it was pretty cool!



2 comments:

  1. I have a Halloween quilt that I would love to quilt with a spider web design. Where did you get your design from? If you did it yourself, would you mind sharing your pattern with me?

    I have always done hand quilting and I am now learning to use a Handi-Quilter (the original one, handed down from someone who upgraded). I only have about 4.5 inches width to quilt in, so I am a bit limited on my designs. Any help you can give me would be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi deej,
    I found this spiderweb design and based mine on it:

    http://www.digitechpatterns.com/product_p/dh771.htm

    I have a white board that I use to draw my design on until it becomes almost second nature to do it. That is the advice another long arm quilter gave me when I first started and it really has helped. She said to just sit and draw and draw until you have "muscle memory". That way, when you start sewing, you won't have to "think" about how to do the design... much easier!! I would highly recommend that method!

    Just figure out how big your spider web can be due to the space you have to work in and draw it up on your white board or whatever.

    On my quilt I combined meandering and the spiderwebs...so it went fairly fast.

    Good luck! Hope this helps! Let me know if I can be of any more help!

    ReplyDelete