CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Work In Progress (WIP)

I'm working on a new quilt now. This is for some special friends of ours who have an anniversary coming up.  It's a throw size.  I put it on my frame and started following a pantograph called "Swirls".  I really enjoy using the pantographs. 

Each time I quilt is a learning experience.  With the last quilt I did, I drew up a pantograph, only to find that it was too big for my machine (meaning that I couldn't sew the whole design without having to move my quilt up on the frame.) It was 13" tall, and the throat on my machine will only accomodate a 12-12 1/4" tall one.  The next one I did, I made 7" tall.  It worked fine, but if I'd have made it 6" tall instead, I could have sewn 2 rows of the design before having to roll the quilt.  Live and learn!  With the Swirls panto, I made it so that 2 rows were 10" tall (which was nice because I could then print them off on regular computer paper.)

I had a little trouble with the first couple of rows of quilting.  It would do fine until I got to a seam, and then it really bogged down.  I thought that maybe I didn't have the take up bar (the one that is in the back that is where the 3 layers of quilt- quilt top, batting, and backing- roll onto after they have been quilted) up high enough.  I moved it up, but still had the same problem.  I then realized that a vertical bar holding the take up bar had moved and was no longer at a ninety degree angle.  I tightened that.  Still drag...   What's wrong?  I had Bill check it when he got home.  He thought that I had the take up bar too high.  I moved it back down and, "voila"!  Worked great!!!

I finished the quilting yesterday and had such a good time!  Boy, do I love this machine!

Next project?  We'll see...

By the way, I'll post pictures of this quilt later!  I don't want my friends to see it and ruin their surprise!

Now I can add the picture.  My friends just celebrated their 46th anniversary. 
I made this quilt for them because they have always enjoyed the seashore. 


No comments:

Post a Comment